Objectives: This is an in-depth, hands-on, instructor-led course which provides the Project Manager with the skills needed to create and manage enterprise projects using Microsoft Project Server 2013 while following a standard project lifecycle process. Each student will follow the instructor and complete hands-on exercises that are pre-loaded with Microsoft Project Professional 2013, and connected to a live Project Server 2013 training system.
Target Audience: Anyone who needs to learn Project Web Access.
Pre-Requisites: The minimum requirement for this course is significant hands-on experience with a recent version of MS Project, preferably 2010/13 version. If you have never used MS Project, you must attend the Introduction to MS Project. Prior knowledge of Project Management is helpful.
Duration: 2 Days
Module 1 – Introduction
to Microsoft Project Server 2013
- Review Project Server's main features and terminology
- Review how Project Server facilitates the life of a project
- Review how Project Server uses its databases
- Review the project data and metadata model
- Review how web/desktop interfaces are used.
Module 2 - Using the Project Web App (PWA) Interface
- Open Project Web App (PWA) web site
- Navigate through its interface, and use the main features of the
Module 3 - Initiating Enterprise Projects with PWA
- How Enterprise Project Types are used in Project Server
- Initiate, save/close Basic Project Plans in PWA
- Review Project Server's demand management features
- How to initiate a Sample Proposal in PWA.
Module 4 – View & Analyse Enterprise Projects
- Navigate and manipulate project data views in the PWA Project Center
- Locate a project in the PWA Project Center and view its properties
- Learn how to view and manipulate the detailed data views for a project
in the PWA Project Center such as task views, resource views, and assignment
Module 5 - Project Editing and Task Planning with PWA
- Open a project for editing in the PWA Project Center
- Modify the properties of a project
- Add and remove tasks and milestones, set up a Work Breakdown Structure,
and set dependencies within a project schedule
- How to save, publish, close, and check in a project schedule.
Module 6 - Resource / Assignment Planning with PWA
- Select resources from the Project Server Enterprise Resource Pool
& add them to a project team in PWA
- Reserve resources for a project using a Resource Plan
- Assign resources to tasks in a project schedule.
Module 7 - Viewing and Analyzing Enterprise Resources in
- Navigate and manipulate resource data views in the PWA Resource Center;
- Locate a resource in the PWA Resource Center and view its properties
- Select one or more resources and analyze their assignments, workloads,
Module 8 - Using the Microsoft Project Professional 2013
- Navigate and manipulate the Microsoft Project Professional interface
- How to view and manipulate task, resource, and assignment data in
a project using Views, Tables, Filters, and Groups
- How to configure the Quick Access Toolbar and the Ribbon interface.
Module 9 - Using Project Pro with Project Server
- Create a Project Server connection profile within Project Pro
- Open / close enterprise project schedules from Project Server with
- Work with the local cache in Project Pro
- How to take an enterprise project schedule offline for remote working
with Project Pro.
Module 10 - Initiating Enterprise Projects
- Create a new enterprise project schedule by starting with
a blank project
- Create a new enterprise project schedule by importing a project from
- Create a new enterprise project schedule by using enterprise project
- Define the summary information for a project such as its start date,
working calendar, project data fields and properties, and other options
unique to the project.
Module 11 - Project Task Planning with Project Pro
- Use manually-scheduled and auto-scheduled tasks in a project schedule
- Add and remove tasks and milestones, set up a Work Breakdown Structure,
and set up task dependencies
- Apply scheduling constraints, deadlines, and calendars to tasks.
Module 12 - Resource and Assignment Planning
- Review the types of enterprise resources in the Project Server Enterprise
- Learn how to select resources from the Enterprise Resource Pool and
add them to a project team in Project Pro
- Review the variables that affect resource assignments in a project
- Assign work resources to tasks in a project schedule
- Manage resource overallocations in a project schedule
- Use cost resources to plan for fixed project costs.
Module 13 - Preparing for Project
Execution with Project Pro
- Identify and analyze the critical path in a project schedule
- Review project baselining and learn how to save a baseline
- Publish a project schedule with Project Pro and control task assignment
publishing for individual tasks in the schedule.
Module 14 - Tracking Time and Task Progress with PWA
- Review task status tracking and time tracking in Project Server
- View and manipulate task and activity views on the PWA Tasks and
- Plan and track time against various project and non-project activities
on the PWA Timesheet page
- Track task progress on the PWA Tasks page.
Module 15 - Collaborating on Project Risks, Issues, and
- Review project site usage and learn how to visit and navigate within
the Project Site for an enterprise project
- View, track, and update project risks in a Project Site
- View, upload, share, and update project documents in a Project Site.
Module 16 - Reviewing and Approving Task Updates with PWA
- View and process submitted task status updates in the PWA Approval
- View the task status updates history in the PWA Approval Center
- Configure automatic task status acceptance rules
- How to prevent further task status updates for tasks in a project.
Module 17 - Variance Analysis and Schedule Revision with
- Reschedule uncompleted work in a project schedule
- Track actual fixed costs for a project with cost resources
- Project variances and learn how to identify and analyze them with
- Apply a change control process with task formatting and notes
- How to re-baseline a project schedule.
Module 18 - Managing Programs and Cross-Project Dependencies
- Create a master project schedule, save it to Project Server, and
view it in the PWA Project Center
- Track cross-project dependencies by linking tasks in multiple project
- Track cross-project dependencies with Project Server Deliverables
Module 19 - Working with PWA Status Reports
- Request that project team members complete and submit a periodic
Project Server Status Report
- Respond to a Status Report request
- View Status Report responses submitted by your project team members
Module 20 - Project Reporting with Project Pro
- Display and hide the Timeline view in Project Pro
- Add and remove tasks, milestones, and major phases in the Timeline
- Use the Excel-based and Visio-based Visual Reports in Project Pro
- Customise a Visual Report and save a new Visual Report template for
Module 21 - Working with Business Intelligence
- Review Excel reporting architecture in Project Server
- Visit and navigate in the Project Server Business Intelligence Center
- View Excel reports and dashboards in the Business Intelligence Center
- Open and modify an Excel report with Microsoft Excel.
Module 22 - Managing and Configuring a Project Site
- Modify the structure, behaviours, and appearance of the Risks and
Issues lists in a Project Site
- Modify the structure, behaviours, and appearance of the Project Documents
library in a Project Site
- Modify the information displayed on the home page of a Project Site.
Module 23 - Other Day-to-Day Administrative Functions
- Change the ownership of an enterprise project
- How to check in a project via the PWA Project Center
- Manage personal e-mail notifications sent by Project Server
- How to temporarily delegate your role to a co-worker.
Questions and Answers